Monday, July 21, 2008

The Verdict is........



It's BROKEN. After a fun filled weekend in Yuba we decided it was time to get the thumb x-rayed. If you didn't read my previous blog then I will give you a rundown of what happened. Friday, just before leaving for Yuba, Kinzie came home from gymnastics with a hurt thumb. She had been doing back handsprings when she ran out of mat and hit her thumb on the floor. We convinced her if she went to the Dr. and it was broke she would have to have a cast and she wouldn't be able to swim or play in the water. So we gave her some ibuprofen and ice and went anyway. I didn't think it was broke, I thought it was just jammed. Later that night her thumb started to swell and turn purple. It had little movement, by Saturday her whole thumb was bruised and she couldn't move it at all. More ibuprofen, more ice, more fun in the water. Sunday was about the same so I got up this morning and headed to the Dr. At first the Dr. thought it was just torn ligaments but sent us for x-rays anyway. Later I received a phone call from the Dr. saying it was fractured and I needed to go an orthopedic surgeon. Oh shit! Well it turns out this type of fracture does not need surgery and we are to keep it splinted for two weeks and then have it x-rayed again. After that who knows. I wonder if I broke it worse, when I tried popping it back into place, you know cuz I thought it was jammed.OOOPS!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

OH, poor girl!! She is a trooper! Hope it heals up soon.

Mag Family said...

It HURTS really bad. Its hard to sleep with my cast on and undo my buttons on my pants, cause you know ya need a thumb!!!!!!!!!! love kinzie the broken thumb girl

Natilie said...

Nice job on the yanking! That's a classic. At least you don't have to have surgery.

The Brooks Family said...

Classic Evans story. Especially love the "yanking" part. (head shaking)