Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!!!

For over 100 years Lehi Fire Department has welcomed the 4th with salutes at 6:00 in the morning. They go and let off big firework booms all over Lehi. For over 30 years (yes I am old) I have enjoyed this tradition. The night of the 3rd I go to bed and seriously I wake up about 5:00 in anticipation for these loud cannons going off. As I lay in bed I count how many I can hear and then I would go to The Fireman's Breakfast, which is also a long standing tradition for fireman and their families, and tell my dad how many I heard and he would then tell me how many they had fired. I used to hear all of them. I know dorky. Over the last couple of years I have only been able to hear half. It is still a fun game for me, but I am sad I don't get to hear all of them. I only heard 9 this year. I love the anticipation of waiting for that first big giant boom. My dad has been great about lighting them off himself or sending someone else down around my neighborhood. Through recent years there have been a lot of complaints about the noise, mostly from move ins, they wanted this tradition to stop. But alas, us old timers have prevailed and the tradition will continue. I hope you enjoy bringing in the 4th with a bang as much as I do. Happy 4th.

3 comments:

Natilie said...

Next year I am sleeping at your house. That is one of the things I miss the most about living in Lehi. Maybe I can get the hubby to light one off for me next year.

The Brooks Family said...

The 4th is my favorite holiday and I think the salutes have a lot to do with it! I only heard 2 this morning, but they made me smile!

The Hovers said...

I love the big booms, too! I don't wake up just to listen to them, but I love it when they wake me up! I only heard 2 this year but I love the fact that they still do it!